Anchorage School District
Anchorage School District is seeking qualified applicants for the following position(s):
Librarian: 6-8 (2018-19 School Year)
Hanshew Middle School
This position requires a valid Alaska certificate and is represented by the Anchorage Education Association (AEA) union. The number of work days is established and salary is based upon the AEA negotiated pay scale. Positions which are .50 to 1.0 FTE are in the Alaska Teachers' Retirement System (TRS), positions which are .40 to .49 FTE are in the Alaska Public Employees' Retirement System (PERS). Positions which are .39 FTE or less are not eligible for participation in either Alaska retirement system.
This position reports to and is evaluated by the site principal. Middle school librarians instill a love of learning in all students, ensure that students and staff are effective users of ideas and information and ensure equitable access to information. Librarians empower students to be critical thinkers, enthusiastic readers, skillful researchers, and ethical users of information, and collaborate with classroom teachers and specialists to design and implement lessons and units of instruction, and assess student learning and instructional effectiveness. A middle school librarian provides the leadership and expertise necessary to ensure that the school library program is aligned with the mission, goals, and objectives of the school and the school district, and is an integral component of the learning/instructional program.
The following are required:
- Valid Alaska initial, professional, or master teaching certificate.
- Evidence of content knowledge shown by:
a posted degree in the content area of this position; or
a posted minor in the content area of this position; or
passing Praxis Subject Assessments scores (formerly Praxis II) in the content area of this position; or
an endorsement in the content area of this position
The following is preferred:
- Valid Alaska certificate (type C special services or initial, professional, or master) with an endorsement in school librarian, library science, or media services
- Master's degree.
Essential Job Functions:
The responsibilities listed below are representative of the essential functions of this position. The successful candidate:
- Supports a culture of literacy and literacy instruction.
- Engages students in the appreciation of literature and life-long reading.
- Uses the American Association of School Librarians Learner Standards.
- Demonstrates flexibility and responsiveness in helping to prepare students for their future.
- Encourages and facilitates students to become increasingly self-directed in critical thinking, collaboration and authentic, real-world problem solving.
- Collaborates with school staff to design and support grade level learning experiences that integrate critical thinking, information literacy, digital citizenship and the active use of technology.
- Plans and prepares lessons following appropriate academic plans as well as student and teacher needs.
- Leverages an understanding of school and community needs in the selection, organization and sharing of print and digital resources to support student interest and inquiry-based learning.
- Manages and maintains the library collection including, but not limited to, collection evaluation and weeding, ordering, book processing and repair, overdue notices and communication, organization, cleaning.
- Establishes and maintains library procedures.
- Manages the budget to effectively create a current and engaging collection for the school community.
- Provides flexible, current and accessible spaces to promote inquiry, creativity, collaboration and community.
- Creates an optimal learning environment which supports diverse learning, cultural, and linguistic differences which is respectful, safe and inviting.
- Develops a culture for investigation and an appreciation of learning and literature.
- Uses the appropriate ISTE Learner Standards.
- Leads professional learning to cultivate broader understanding of the skills that comprise success in a digital age.
- Identifies appropriate technology support resources for various troubleshooting needs.
- Serves as project lead for technology usage and integration at the school level.
- Provides high value technology troubleshooting and support at the classroom level.
- Provides and advocates for equitable access to print and digital resources, connectivity, digital devices, programming, and services in support of the district’s strategic vision.
- Maintains a vibrant online presence, which provides access to a wide variety of resources that have been carefully created, selected and vetted according to professional standards.
- Serves on decision-making teams in the school and participates in school improvement and accreditation activities.
- Remains current and engages in continuing education to reflect the most recent developments in literature, professional practices, information technology, and educational research in their practice.
Physical /Mental Demands:
The physical demands of this job require frequent standing, walking, sitting, speaking and hearing. Specific visual abilities are also required. The employee is regularly required to reach with his/her hands and arms and occasionally lift items weighing less than 40 lbs. Additionally, the employee must be able to understand vague and implicit instructions, be able to readily recall facts and details, handle conflict and make effective decisions under pressure. The employee must have the ability to effectively manage the stress of working with students, parents, and other employees representing diverse cultures, personalities, and work styles in a dynamic work environment.
The Anchorage School District is committed to providing reasonable accommodations, according to applicable state and federal laws, to all individuals with a qualified physical or mental disability.
Work is performed in a professional environment with a wide variety of individuals having differing functions, personalities and abilities, including working with diverse groups of people in a variety of different settings.
While performing the duties of this job the employee may be regularly exposed to a video display. The employee may be exposed to outdoor weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Additional Job Information:
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job related duties as requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
Anchorage School District (ASD) employees must possess the ability to read and write in English. This also includes the ability to communicate in English with school staff, co-workers, and the public; as well as have the ability to comprehend and carry out oral and written directions and understand and follow English instructions and written documents.
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of a satisfactory criminal background check in addition to the background check conducted through the certification process with the Alaska State Department of Education and Early Development (DEED).
This position may be required to work in ASD facilities on the military installations (JBER).
If you are interested in submitting your application to this position click on the Apply Now button above. You must register with Eduation America Network to complete the application process. Registration is free and only takes a few minutes. You will be asked to verify you email address. Once your email address is verified and you complete the registration process you will be able to apply to this and other jobs posted on Education America Network.
The job posting above from Anchorage School District may require
certification levels, qualifications or eligibility requirements for
being employed in the United States or the state of Alaska. Please read the
carefully! DO NOT apply or send unsolicited resumes if you do not meet the
requirements listed by Anchorage School District in their postings.
Anchorage School District