Open date: August 3rd, 2018
Next review date: August 17th, 2018
Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee. Final date: September 4th, 2018
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Music Metadata Librarian
University of California, Berkeley Library
Hiring range: Associate Librarian
$65,942 - $81,606 per annum, based on qualifications
This is a full time appointment available starting September 2018
**MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***. seeks a librarian to perform original and complex copy cataloging for print and digital humanities materials, with a special focus on music. The incumbent will be an integral part of the technical service community that supports the UC Berkeley Library, the Bancroft Library, and the Digital Lifecycle Program.
The UC Berkeley Library is an internationally renowned research and teaching facility at one of the nation's premier public universities. In a highly diverse and intellectually rich environment, Berkeley serves a campus community of 30,000 undergraduate students, 10,300 graduate students, and a faculty of 1,500. The Library comprises 25 campus libraries - including the Doe/Moffitt Libraries, the Bancroft Library, the C. V. Starr East Asian Library and subject specialty libraries.
With a collection of more than 11 million volumes and a collections budget of nearly $20 million, the Library offers extensive collections in all formats and robust services to connect users with those collections and build their related research skills. The Library s mission and strategic plan can be viewed at ****The Library s Arts & Humanities Division supports core research collections and services located in Doe Library/Gardner MAIN Stacks and four specialized libraries within Doe Library the Art History/Classics Library, Graduate Services, Morrison Library, and South/Southeast Asia Library and the Hargrove Music Library. Collectively, these libraries are primary service points and provide research-level print and digital collections to support the research and teaching programs related to visual and performing arts, humanities, and international and area studies in a multicultural, global context. The Music Library collection serves the diverse teaching and research needs of the UC Berkeley Department of Music that offers programs in musicology, ethnomusicology and composition, and embraces a variety of performance activities.
The Music Metadata Librarian provides full original and complex copy cataloging for the Library s collections to ensure items are accessible to library users in a timely manner. Materials cataloged include manuscripts, rare printed materials, scores, sound and video recordings, CD-ROMs, microforms, slides, and unique digitized collections. While a primary focus will be on music- related collections, the librarian will also bring their expertise to providing access to other arts, humanities, and global studies collections.
As a member of the Arts & Humanities Division, this position reports to the division head and works collaboratively with division s Technical Processing Lead, Music Library technical service staff and public service staff to coordinate branch technical processing, circulation services, and public services. The librarian also works with the Curator of Music Collections in prioritizing the cataloging work, albeit with a high level of autonomy in decision-making and establishing workflows. Additionally this position is part of the Library s technical services community working closely with Bancroft Technical Services, Cataloging & Metadata Services, Library IT, and the Digital Lifecycle Program on cataloging policies and projects beyond those related to music. Membership on key councils and formal dotted line reporting relationships will be confirmed as the position develops.
The librarian performs full original and complex copy cataloging in MARC according to established national guidelines and standards to provide enhanced access and discovery for a wide variety of materials. This work includes maintaining and enhancing bibliographic records, providing accurate physical description, determining appropriate access points, and assigning Library of Congress subject headings and classification numbers, or accession numbers as appropriate. The librarian edits and creates catalog records in OCLC, and contributes metadata to local databases, in accordance with cooperative cataloging principles, performs complex authority and headings control, and may contribute authority records to PCC NACO.
UC Berkeley librarians are expected to participate in library-wide planning and governance, to work effectively in a shared decision-making environment and to be active professionally. Professional contributions beyond the primary responsibilities are required for advancement in the Librarian series. The successful candidate will show promise or evidence of such contributions.
Minimum Basic Qualification(s) at time of application:
* MLS from an ALA accredited institution or equivalent international degree
Additional Required Qualifications by start date in position:
* Two or more years of experience creating library metadata in an academic setting (including cataloging music and music-related materials using RDA, and familiarity with LCSH and Library of Congress classification)
* Experience working with MARC and non-MARC bibliographic exchange formats, metadata content standards, and controlled vocabularies
* Experience with principles of authority control
* Reading fluency in at least one western or eastern European language as well as bibliographic knowledge of other major languages
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
* Undergraduate or advanced degree in music
* Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively across groups to achieve objectives
* Demonstrated analytical, documentation, and communication skills (both written and oral)
* Experience in digital collections processing and/or digital curation
* Experience creating authority records and contributing to PCC NACO
* Experience creating bibliographic records according to the Descriptive Cataloging of Rare Materials (DCRM) suite, especially related to music
* Familiarity with ArchivesSpace and/or Encoded Archival Description (EAD)
* Familiarity with Metadata Encoding and Transmission Standard (METS), and Metadata Object Description Schema (MODS)
* Knowledge of or experience with digital asset management systems (DAMS)
* Experience working in a special collections environment
* Knowledge of rare material handling and conservation
* Experience coordinating with IT staff
* Fluency in several western European languages
The Library at **MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***. is committed to the support and encouragement of a multicultural environment and seeks candidates who can make a positive contribution in a context of ethnic and cultural diversity.
UC professional librarians are academic appointees and are represented by an exclusive bargaining agent, University Council American Federation of Teachers (UC-AFT). This position is in the bargaining unit.
Librarians are entitled to appropriate professional development leave, vacation leave, sick leave, and all other benefits granted non-faculty academic personnel.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status
Want to be a sponsor?