Chesapeake Public Schools
Chesapeake Public Schools is seeking qualified applicants for the following position(s):
Applicant Pool - Library Specialists
10 Calendar Months
* Bachelor's Degree
* Master's Degree
* Library & Media
Performs difficult professional work instructing students in library skills, operating an elementary, middle or high school library and serving as a resource for instructional personnel and students; does related work as required. Work is performed under general supervision. Supervision is exercised over assigned personnel.
- Planning, overseeing, supervising and operating an elementary, middle or secondary school library; providing instruction to students in library skills; serving as library and media resource person; maintaining records and files; preparing reports.
- Manages and administers overall school library program;
- Provides instructional services to students; oversees and operates library equipment and technological services;
- Assists teachers with their curriculum involving use of the media center and their curriculum; instructs and helps teachers in use of various information formats available; works with teachers to implement a media skills program;
- Helps students check out and return media center materials; helps students select materials to complete research assignments and locate materials; conducts orientation sessions for students regarding media center; trains students on use of media center equipment;
- Conducts media orientation sessions for new teachers and student teachers;
- Sets up media equipment; troubleshoots and makes minor repairs to equipment;
- Orders film and materials and special equipment from ERC and keeps appropriate records; participates in curriculum planning; plans, implements and evaluates integrated media center/classroom lessons; Selects, purchases, processes and catalogues media center materials; administers library budget;
- Maintains logs, schedules and calendars of media center use;
- Prepares book displays and bulletin boards; posts announcements and media center rules and regulations; publicizes services of media center; recommends media materials;
- Updates card catalogue system; takes annual inventory of books, audio/visual material and equipment;
- Prepares and files required reports;
- Teaches library and research skills to elementary students; reads to elementary students;
- Shelves returned books; maintains library in neat condition and conducive to a learning environment;
- Sends overdue notices to students; trains media clerks and other library staff;
- Performs related tasks as required.
Thorough knowledge of professional library/media principals, materials and practices; thorough knowledge of the operation of a variety of media equipment; thorough knowledge of prescribed school system policies and procedures; ability to evaluate library programs and services and to develop improved methods; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students and staff; ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
Possession of or ability to acquire appropriate license(s), certificate(s), and/or endorsement(s) for position as required by the Commonwealth of Virginia and School Board.
* This is sedentary work.
* Exertion of up to 10 pounds of force.
* Exertion of up to 20 pounds of force.
* Work requires stooping.
* Work requires kneeling
* Work requires reaching.
* Work requires standing.
* Work requires lifting.
* Work requires using fingers.
* Hearing required to perceive info at normal levels
* Visual acuity is required for determining accuracy of work.
* Visual acuity is required for preparing and analyzing data.
* Observing general surroundings and activities.
* Not subject to adverse environmental conditions.
If you are interested in submitting your application to this position click on the Apply Now button above. You must register with Eduation America Network to complete the application process. Registration is free and only takes a few minutes. You will be asked to verify you email address. Once your email address is verified and you complete the registration process you will be able to apply to this and other jobs posted on Education America Network.
The job posting above from Chesapeake Public Schools may require
certification levels, qualifications or eligibility requirements for
being employed in the United States or the state of Virginia. Please read the
carefully! DO NOT apply or send unsolicited resumes if you do not meet the
requirements listed by Chesapeake Public Schools in their postings.
Chesapeake Public Schools
Website : http://www.cps.k12.va.us/