Primary Function of Organizational Unit
Libraries serves as the gateway to recorded knowledge and information for the NC State community and its partners, offering a competitive advantage in attracting and retaining the best faculty and students to the university. For more information about the Libraries, please see ****Essential Job Duties
This position serves as Access Services’ Library Technician and Second Shift Supervisor for the
Libraries. The Access Services department provides direct service to library users (students, faculty, and other researchers) in-person at the Ask Us centers at the D.H. Hill and Hunt Libraries and by telephone, email, and chat. Staff help users explore and locate collections, borrow and return materials, and use library services and spaces. The department oversees the maintenance of physical collections including technology lending, retrieval and delivery functions throughout the Libraries, and all textbooks and reserve materials.
This position oversees information and circulation services; trains, schedules, and supervises staff; manages materials to support operations and services; and organizes and maintains collections. With others, this position coordinates student employee recruiting, scheduling, training and supervision. Monitors and troubleshoots patron computing, printing, and staff computing tools.
This position independently resolves problems for clients and assists in ensuring safety and security of people and materials in a high-volume, high-technology research library.
High school diploma or equivalency and two years of experience in library services, office support, or related field; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
Departmental Required Skills
• Significant and relevant experience providing public/customer service
• Demonstrated understanding of the current information and learning needs of students in a college/university setting
• Ability to work effectively in a high-volume, high-demand environment, and to manage multiple, sometimes competing, priorities
• Familiarity with the content of collections and resources provided in a modern library environment sufficient to assist students and faculty with research-related questions
• Ability to interpret and explain a wide variety of policies and procedures, varying from basic to complex, to the public, and to exercise independent judgment
• Computing skills including familiarity across operating systems and fluency with all office applications
• Familiarity with multimedia software for creating and editing graphics, sound, and video
• Knowledge of variety of current consumer electronics products such as digital cameras, tablets, projectors, and laptops
• Attention to detail, time-management, and organizational skills
• Very good written and oral communication skills
• Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships
• Ability to supervise staff
• Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
• Strong problem-solving skills
• Ability to meet high service standards in all interactions (in-person, by telephone, via e-mail or online) and to supervise others to provide excellent service
• Demonstrated ability to locate, analyze, and interpret data contained in complex online systems
Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education
• Bachelor’s degree
• Two or more years of relevant experience
Required License or Certification
Please attach cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references.
Job Open Date
Must Be Open Until---- (Positions will be posted until 5:00 PM ET on this date. Positions remaining posted after this date are still accepting applications but may close at any time.)
Is this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?
Proposed Hire Date
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please ****.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree verified at ****. Degree must be obtained prior to start date.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.