North Carolina State University
Primary Function of Organizational Unit
Libraries serves as the gateway to recorded knowledge and information for the NC State community and its partners, offering a competitive advantage in attracting and retaining the best faculty and students to the university. For more information about the Libraries, please see http://www.lib.ncsu.edu/aboutthelibraries/
The Research Engagement department engages with faculty members, researchers, and students across the full lifecycle of research and scholarship, offering dynamic services, spaces, and technologies to enable all forms of research, discovery, and learning, along with a full suite of resources for research and teaching productivity. Research Engagement librarians collaborate with faculty and students on emerging technologies for research, visualization, data curation and management, bibliometrics, and computational analysis in an evolving scholarly communication environment. They build programs and partnerships that enhance research productivity and competitiveness, support interdisciplinary collaboration, foster inclusive spaces for early-career researchers, and conduct research consultations.
Essential Job Duties
• Serves as liaison to the Poole College of Management, the College of Education, and other affinity departments.
• Collaborates with faculty and students on research, embedded and innovative pedagogy, workshops, projects, and grants.
• Designs and teaches specialized workshops and seminars that incorporate complex, rapidly evolving research and collaboration tools, high-tech spaces, and data services.
• Provides expert services for faculty, students, and staff across the research lifecycle including information discovery, data management, visualization, research tools, and scholarly communication.
• Fosters collaboration and interdisciplinary interactions among faculty and other stakeholders by engaging with interdisciplinary research teams.
• Serves as one of two official representatives for the
Libraries to the Inter-university Consortium for Political and Social Research (
• Collaborates with Collections & Research Strategy librarians in ongoing collection development and assessment activities.
• In collaboration with research administration at NC State, advises researchers in evaluation of grant opportunities including meeting funder and university requirements for providing public access to publications and data resulting from research.
• Participates in library planning; serves on library-wide committees, task forces, and teams.
librarians are expected to be active professionally and to contribute to developments in the field.
, or equivalent advanced degree
Departmental Required Skills
• Academic preparation or relevant work experience in business, education, or a related discipline.
• Familiarity with or interest in data analysis.
• Knowledge of emerging trends in research services including data science, visualization, impact metrics, and/or research computing.
• Ability to support faculty and researchers across the lifecycle of research, teaching, and learning.
• Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
• Ability to work creatively and effectively both as a team member and independently.
• Ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines.
• Ability to be proactive, flexible, and collaborative, working across multiple locations in an exciting, ambiguous, future-oriented environment, and to respond effectively to changing needs and priorities.
• Commitment to fostering a diverse educational and professional environment and demonstration of the ability to work with a diverse population.
• Evidence of ability for ongoing professional development and contribution.
Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education
• Advanced degree in business, education, or a related discipline.
• Demonstrated success in faculty and student engagement.
• Understanding of trends in data management throughout the research lifecycle, including the creation, processing, analysis, preservation, access, and reuse of research data.
• Demonstrated knowledge of open research practices and incentives, and open data tools and sources.
Required License or Certification
Along with your application, please attach a resume, cover letter, and contact information for at least four professional references.
Job Open Date
Must Be Open Until
Positions will be posted until 5:00 PM ET on this date. Positions remaining posted after this date are still accepting applications but may close at any time.
Is this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?
Proposed Hire Date
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree verified at www.wes.org
. Degree must be obtained prior to start date.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
This is the new ncsu.edu, launched in August 2014. This redesigned site offers users an experience that reflects NC State itself. Innovative. Purposeful. Modern. Regular users will notice something immediately about this site: There’s less of it. In redesigning and rebuilding ncsu.edu, we considered the value of every page and subpage, removing content that lacked utility and erasing barriers between users and the information they seek. We took a similar approach to design. The redesigned site is cleaner and brighter, giving its content room to breathe and tell our story. We also streamlined and clarified the organization of ncsu.edu. Primary navigation on our homepage and throughout ncsu.edu is organized around topics: About NC State, Admissions, Research, Academics, Partnerships, Campus Life, Outreach and Athletics. On these pages and the homepage itself, you’ll learn about our world-leading faculty and staff, high-performing students and the solution-driven research and scholarship they produce.