Western Carolina University
Assistant Professor – Web and User Experience Librarian #******
Please see Special Instructions for more details. All applications must be made on line. You will be required to attach a letter of application, resume and names and telephone numbers of three references. For more information, contact Mark Stoffan at ************ or ****************. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Quick Link for Internal Postings
Classification TitleAssistant Professor
Working TitleAssistant Professor – Web and User Experience Librarian #******
DepartmentOffice of the Dean – Hunter Library
Hunter Library at Western Carolina University seeks an enthusiastic, innovative, collaborative, and user-oriented librarian for the position of Web Development and User Experience Librarian. This librarian will research, develop, and assess enhancements to the library’s web presence. The person in this position will design new sites and applications to improve the user experience in discovering, finding, and accessing library content and services. Specific projects may include improving search functionality on the library homepage, developing virtual exhibits, supporting digital projects, or enhancing the user experience with existing services such as interlibrary loan, room reservation systems, chat reference, and course reserves. Projects will also likely include implementation of open source code created in other libraries, as well as integrating various APIs and third-party software. The Web Development and User Experience Librarian will also be assigned other digital library projects as the need arises. This position supervises one Technology Support Analyst and may also supervise student employees.
* Providing vision and leadership in designing, developing and supporting the library website content and integrating it with the larger library web presence, which includes discovery tools, digital collections, and electronic resources
* Supervision of one technology support analyst, as well as staff\/student employees engaged in related work, as assigned. Monitors workflow and deadlines.
* Day-to-day management, including programming and editorial recommendations, of the library’s web pages and intranet
* Serves as a member of the library’s web steering committee, an advisory group that includes representatives from across the library
* Development and implementation of web applications and tools, particularly for mobile environments
* Research and design of assessment measures such as usability testing in order to ensure that web services and applications are tailored for targeted user groups, including distance education students, on-site patrons, faculty members, and library staff
* Evaluation of data such as analytics to inform decision-making
* Collaboration with the library marketing committee to develop and implement web-based publicity and outreach strategies such as web graphics, videos, mobile applications, and interactive online sites
* Short and long-term strategic planning for and conceptualization of the Library’s online presence.
* Creation of appropriate procedures and training materials for library faculty and staff responsible for content creation and maintenance of web pages.
* Maintaining expertise in current web technologies, user experience and responsive design
WCU embraces its role as a regionally engaged university and is designated by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching as a community engaged university. Preference will be given to candidates who can demonstrate a commitment to public engagement through their teaching, service, and scholarship
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities Required for this Position
* Graduate degree
* Strong leadership skills and ability to lead a web based electronic content management development team
* Familiarity with User Experience Design
* Familiarity with usability testing, WAI guidelines, and web analytics
* Familiarity with mobile platforms, applications, and design
* Familiarity with responsive design
* Familiarity with content management systems, intranets, and web servers
* Demonstrated flexibility and initiative
* Strong commitment to user-centered services and service excellence
* Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
* Ability to work effectively with faculty, staff, and students
* Superior oral and written communication skills
* Ability to achieve tenure through effective job performance, service, and research
* ALA-accredited master’s degree or international equivalent in library or information science
* Academic library experience
* Demonstrated skills in User Experience Design
* Demonstrated experience with usability testing, WAI guidelines, and web analytics
* Demonstrated experience with mobile platforms, applications, and design
* Demonstrated experience developing responsive web pages or applications
* Demonstrated experience with content management systems, relational databases, and web servers
* Basic skills in graphic design
* Skills or interest in photography
* Experience with graphic design software
* Familiarity with a programming environment that includes languages such as *******, PHP, Python, or Ruby
Position TypePermanent Full-Time
Number of Hours Per Week40
Number of Months Per Year12
Open Until FilledYes
Special Instructions to Applicants
All applications must be made on line. You will be required to attach a letter of application, resume and names and telephone numbers of three references. For more information, contact Mark Stoffan at ************ or ****************. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Final candidates are subject to criminal sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks.
Western Carolina University uses E-Verify to confirm employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit . Proper documentation of identity and employability are required at the time of employment.
All new employees are required to have listed credentials\/degrees verified within 30 days of employment. All new employees who will be teaching are required to provide official transcripts within 30 days of employment. Transcripts should be provided for the highest earned degree and\/or the degree which is being used to satisfy credential\/qualification requirements.
Western Carolina University is an Equal Opportunity\/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, and veteran status, consistent with applicable federal, state and local laws, regulations, and policies, and the policies of The University of North Carolina. Additionally, the University promotes the realization of equal employment opportunity for minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and veterans through its affirmative action program.
Persons with disabilities requiring accommodations in the application and interview process please call ************** or email at ******************.
The Western Carolina University Annual Safety Report is available online at or in hard-copy by request at the office of the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs, 114 Scott, Cullowhee, NC 28723 (************) or the Office of University Police, 111 Camp Annex, Cullowhee, NC 28723 (************). The report, required of all universities participating in Title IV student financial aid programs, discusses crime statistics, procedures for reporting suspicious or criminal activity, security, police authority, crime prevention strategies, university policies on substance abuse and sexual offenses, workplace violence and fire safety.
– Cover Letter\/Letter of Application
– List of referencesOptional Documents
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
– * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
– Inside Higher Ed
– HERC – Higher Education Recruitment Consortium
– Website – ************
– Personal Referral
– Agency Referral
Western Carolina University is an Affirmative Action\/Equal Employment Opportunity employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, color,national origin, religion, sex, age, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, or other legally protected status. In addition, Western Carolina University welcomes all persons without regard to sexual orientation, gender identity or expression.
Western Carolina University
Website : http://www.wcu.edu/cob