California State University, Sacramento
Position Information Working Title
Associate Dean for Digital Technologies & Resource Management
The Associate Dean for Digital Technologies and Resource Management reports to the Dean of the University Library and serves as a member of the library's senior leadership team which plans library-wide services, facilitates operations, and resolve issues. The Associate Dean is primarily responsible for developing strategic directions for managing access to physical and virtual collections and providing infrastructure support for our burgeoning scholarly communications program in support of the research and teaching needs of the University.
This position participates as a member of library-wide groups, task forces, and project teams as appropriate and is expected to work comfortably and with a high degree of expertise in a shared decision-making environment. As a leader, the Associate Dean will foster an environment where strategic and well-informed risk taking is encouraged. As a senior member of Department Heads Council this position is responsible for library-wide planning and policy making, the incumbent works with other library leaders to shape strategic directions for the Libraries.
MPP - This position is defined in the Management Personnel Plan (MPP) of the California State University. It is excluded from the collective bargaining process and is exempt from overtime provisions of FLSA. This position is covered by health benefits.
Classification Salary Range
$5,072 - $17,243 monthly
$5,072 - $17,243 monthly
Is this position Hourly or Intermittent?
Regular or Temporary
Full Time or Part Time
Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm; other hours as required.
As the center of campus intellectual discovery, the Sacramento State University Library promotes teaching, learning, research, and scholarly communication at the University by integrating the Library with campus student success programs and instruction. One of twenty-three libraries in the California State University System, the Library holds over 1.4 million volumes, comprised of print and electronic monographs and serials, and is a Federal Document Depository. The Library's mission is to inspire excellence in teaching, learning, and scholarly activities.
The University Library is undergoing rapid transformation with new leadership, a forward-thinking vision, and a deep commitment to improving the campus learning environment. We welcome individuals with diverse backgrounds to join our growing organization of over 26 library faculty, 30 staff and approximately 20
A successful California State University, Sacramento faculty member promotes the values celebrated by a public, regional, comprehensive, metropolitan university. At Sacramento State, the quality of the education we provide is our top priority. In addition to contributing positively to teaching and learning, faculty members are expected to engage in scholarship and to provide service to the University and to the greater community. Our campus community represents the broad diversity of our state, and we believe that all are enriched and unified by this diversity. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people with the commitment and ability to work with a diverse student population.
1. Graduate degree in library science from an
-accredited institution or an equivalent combination of relevant advanced degree and library experience.
2. Five (5) years significant IT/Technical Services/Collections management experience in an academic or research library.
3. Three (3) years of progressively responsible management and supervisory experience.
4. Record of accomplishment sufficient to achieve tenure at the rank of Associate/Full Librarian.
5. Experience with successfully developing, managing, and completing large complex projects in a library or similar environment.
6. Ability to oversee technical services, systems experts, and collections management in the full range of subjects at Sacramento State
7. Professional experience including management of resources and personnel in an academic or research library setting.
8. Successful experience in budgeting and planning.
9. Demonstrated understanding of scholarly communications issues and new models that are shaping the future of academic publishing.
10. Knowledge of current issues and trends in collection strategies, collection management, copyright, and preservation facing academic and research libraries.
11. Leadership qualities to be an effective Associate Dean.
12. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (oral and written).
13. Commitment to fostering a diverse workplace and building a diverse workforce and to supporting professional development for staff at all levels.
14. Strong decision-making skills and the ability to work under pressure.
15. Proven expertise with current technologies, platforms, and products that support library information technology.
- Ability to pass a background check.
16. Second master's degree or doctorate
17. Successful experience supervising librarians.
18. Experience working in or having a management role in acquisitions and/or cataloging
19. Successful experience in assessment and evaluation of research libraries' collections
20. Experience assessing and negotiating licenses for online resources.
21. Experience working with general and specialized vendors, publishers, and approval plans.
22. Experience working in a collective bargaining environment.
Is Background Check Required
Background Check Disclaimer
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with California State University, Sacramento. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current California State University, Sacramento employees who apply for the position.
Candidate will be required to provide official transcripts of their highest degree earned and must furnish proof of eligibility to work in the U.S..
Conflict of Interest
The duties of this position include participation in decisions that may have a material financial benefit to the incumbent. Therefore, the selected candidate will be required to file Conflict of Interest Form 700: Statement of Economic Interest when they first occupy the position, an on an annual basis, complete ethics training within 6 months of appointment, and attend this training every other year thereafter.
California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act
The person holding this position is considered a mandated reporter under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in the California State University Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Opportunity
California State University, Sacramento is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability. Sacramento State hires only those individuals who are lawfully authorized to accept employment in the United States.
It is the policy of California State University, Sacramento to provide reasonable accommodations for qualified persons with disabilities who are employees or applicants for employment. If you need a disability related reasonable accommodation as part of the application and/or interviewing process, visit (please use the apply button below).
The University is committed to creating an education and working environment free from discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. For more information on mandatory training for new employees, visit http://www.csus.edu/hr/departments/equal-opportunity/Information for%2....
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Fire Safety Right-To-know Act Notification. For additional information, visit (please use the apply button below).
Posting Detail Information Posting Number
Number of Vacancies
Open Until Filled
First Priority Review Date
Special Instructions to Applicants
Regarding required diversity statement: As an equal opportunity employer with a diverse staff and student population, Sacramento States is committed to creating an inclusive and effective teaching and working environment for all. What contributions are you most proud of that exemplify your awareness and sensitivity towards promoting an inclusionary environment? What have you learned working with diverse populations? Please limit your response to 500 words. (Please note: all required application documents must be uploaded as a single document for each type, e.g. unofficial transcripts.)
For questions regarding this search, contact: Contact Name
(see application details)
California State University, Sacramento
Website : http://www.csus.edu
Sacramento State is a vibrant metropolitan university that is among the largest campuses in the California State University system. We enroll a multicultural student body of 30,000, and graduate about 6,000 students each year. Despite our size, quality teaching in small classes remains a top priority. Students enjoy personalized attention from their professors, as well as extensive research and internship opportunities in Sacramento, the heart of California government.