The Kansas Historical Society seeks to hire a well-qualified candidate for the Head of Reference position to support the State Archives Divisions mission to help maintain and provide access to the collections of long-term historical significance for the State of Kansas.
Complete listing of duties, please see the Position Description.
The Head of Reference will:
- Provide reference and research assistance to patrons who visit the research room using various card catalogs, finding aids, databases, genealogical resources, and personal knowledge of the holdings of the division;
- Perform specialized reference work including: determining the location of specific information in large collection of government records, personal papers, business records, etc.;
- Plan and participate in outreach activities to specific user groups to increase their knowledge of our holdings and encourage use of our materials;
- Recruit, interview, select, and train new employees in the reference department; and
- Serve as a knowledge source on rapidly changing national standards and best practices for the library and archival professions.
Minimum Qualifications**: Masters degree in American History, library science, archival administration, historical administration or related field. Three years of experience in special library or archival reference work.
**Preferred Selection Criteria and Competencies**: Experience in management preferred, but not required.
**How to Apply**:
**Step 1**: Register by completing the online Personal Data Form (Skip this step if you already have an Applicant ID number.)
**Step 2**: Complete the online State of Kansas Employment Application form. Select Historical Society and submit.
**Step 3**: Email these additional required documents to kshs.jobs@ks. gov. Include the job requisition number and your last name in the subject line.
- Cover letter
- Copy of college transcripts
- Kansas Tax Clearance Certificate
KANSAS TAX CLEARANCE CERTIFICATE REQUIRED**: Each applicant applying for a State of Kansas job vacancy must obtain a valid and up to date Kansas Certificate of Tax Clearance by accessing the Kansas Department of Revenue’s website at ****A Tax Clearance is a comprehensive tax account review to determine and ensure that an individual’s account is compliant with all primary Kansas Tax Laws. A Tax Clearance expires every 90 days. All applicants, including current State employees, are responsible for submitting a valid and up to date certificate with all other application materials to the hiring agency. This is in accordance with Executive Order 2004- 03. If you need assistance with the tax clearance, please ****.
Matt Veatch, State Archivist
**Veterans’ Preference Eligible (VPE)**:
Former military personnel or their spouse that have been verified as a veteran; under K.S.A. 73-201 will receive an interview if they meet the minimum competency factors of the position. The veterans preference laws do not guarantee the veteran a job. Positions are filled with the best qualified candidate as determine by the hiring manager. Additional VPE information can be found at http:// da.ks.gov/ps/aaa/recruitment/veterans.htm.
Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to contact the agency recruiter if reasonable accommodations are needed for any part of the application or hiring process.
The Kansas Historical Society is an Equal Opportunity Employer