Head of Library Information Systems (Admin II)
The Head of Library Information Systems reports to the Associate Dean for Digital Technologies and Resource Management, and serves to provide leadership and direction for innovative services and technologies. The position will define and articulate the vision, strategic directions, and priorities for information technology in a dynamic environment that values creativity, teamwork and innovation.
The Head of Library Information Systems is responsible for the management of the Library Information Systems Department, which includes planning, budgeting, and setting policy for information resources in the University Library. The Head of Library Information Systems directly supervises staff responsible for desktop support, application development, the Library web sites, supporting digital services, infrastructure architecture and administration, and supports staff in the performance of their duties. The individual will lead a service-oriented program that researches, develops, and supports advanced information systems for the Library, and ensures excellent operational management of information systems and support of end users. The Head of Library Information Systems provides leadership in coordinating and defining system requirements and tasks for library-wide projects and initiatives. The Head of Library Information Systems will work closely with Library Administration, University IT, and other stakeholders to take advantage of technological developments that enhance teaching, learning, research, and scholarship.
MPP - This position is defined in the Management Personnel Plan (MPP) of the California State University. It is excluded from the collective bargaining process and is exempt from overtime provisions of FLSA. This position is covered by health benefits.
Classification Salary Range
$3,726-$12,767 per month
$3,726-$12,767 per month
Is this position Hourly or Intermittent?
Regular or Temporary
Full Time or Part Time
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Other hours as required.
As the center of campus intellectual discovery, the Sacramento State University Library promotes teaching, learning, research, and scholarly communication at the University by integrating the Library with campus student success programs and instruction. One of twenty-three libraries in the **MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***., the Library holds over 1.4 million volumes, comprised of print and electronic monographs and serials, and is a Federal Document Depository. The Library’s mission is to inspire excellence in teaching, learning, and scholarly activities.
The University Library is undergoing rapid transformation with a forward-thinking mission and vision and a deep commitment to improving the campus learning environment. We welcome individuals with diverse backgrounds to join our growing organization of 26 library faculty, 34 staff and approximately 40 FTE student assistants.
A successful California State University, Sacramento faculty member promotes the values celebrated by a public, regional, comprehensive, metropolitan university. At Sacramento State, the quality of the education we provide is our top priority. In addition to contributing positively to teaching and learning, faculty members are expected to engage in scholarship and to provide service to the University and to the greater community. Our campus community represents the broad diversity of our state, and we believe that all are enriched and unified by this diversity. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of qualified people with the commitment and ability to work with a diverse student population.
1. Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or other relevant field and/or equivalent training and administrative work experience may be substituted for degree requirement
2. 5 years of IT experience with a record of progressive experience in IT leadership
3. Successful human and financial resource management experience
4. Experience working with commercial vendors of library-centric hardware, software, and other related products and services (experience with Ex Libris systems preferred)
5. Successful supervisory experience
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
6. Knowledge and understanding of current trends in library and educational technology in higher education
7. Proven expertise with current technologies, platforms, and products that support library information technology
8. Excellent customer service skills with a commitment to customer service
9. Project management, analytical, and problem-solving skills
10. Record of successful innovation in applications of information technology
11. Evidence of effective communication (written and verbal) skills
12. Strong interpersonal skills
13. Collaborative work ethic and the ability to build effective partnerships, articulate goals and negotiate priorities
14. Demonstrated history of and commitment to building and maintaining a diverse work environment
Conditions of Employment
- Ability to pass background check
15. Advanced degree in Library and Information Science (ALA accredited), Computer Science or a related field
16. Experience with library systems and applications
17. Experience with creating documentation
18. Experience with interface design and usability testing
19. Experience with image and/or text based institutional repositories and best practices in digital projects
Is Background Check Required
Background Check Disclaimer
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily before any candidate can be offered a position with California State University, Sacramento. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current California State University, Sacramento employees who apply for the position.
Candidate will be required to provide official transcripts of their highest degree earned and must furnish proof of eligibility to work in the U.S..
Conflict of Interest
The duties of this position include participation in decisions that may have a material financial benefit to the incumbent. Therefore, the selected candidate will be required to file Conflict of Interest Form 700: Statement of Economic Interest when they first occupy the position, an on an annual basis, complete ethics training within 6 months of appointment, and attend this training every other year thereafter.
California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act
The person holding this position is considered a “mandated reporter” under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in the California State University Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment Opportunity
California State University, Sacramento is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and has a strong institutional commitment to the principle of diversity in all areas. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, genetic information, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or disability. Sacramento State hires only those individuals who are lawfully authorized to accept employment in the United States.
It is the policy of California State University, Sacramento to provide reasonable accommodations for qualified persons with disabilities who are employees or applicants for employment. If you need a disability related reasonable accommodation as part of the application and/or interviewing process, visit ****The University is committed to creating an education and working environment free from discrimination, sexual harassment, sexual violence, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking. For more information on mandatory training for new employees, visit ****for Job Applicants.html.
Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act and Campus Fire Safety Right-To-know Act Notification. For additional information, visit ****Posting Detail Information
Number of Vacancies
Open Until Filled
First Priority Review Date
Special Instructions to Applicants
Required Diversity Statement (Please limit to 500 words):
As an equal opportunity employer with a diverse staff and student population, Sacramento State is committed to creating an inclusive and effective teaching and working environment for all. What contributions are you most proud of that exemplify your awareness and sensitivity towards promoting an inclusionary environment? What have you learned working with diverse populations?
For questions regarding this search, ****
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
1. * Please provide an example of a time when you resolved a difficult customer service situation. (maximum 500 words)
(Open Ended Question)
Documents Needed To Apply
Required Documents 1.Resume/Curriculum Vitae