Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University
About Virginia Tech:
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
Virginia Tech’s Newman Library and the Center for Digital Research and Scholarship is seeking qualified candidates for a Digital Library Architect Position.
50% Project management, including:
- Work with the Director of Digital Library Development, assist in developing department goals and objectives that support the University Libraries strategic plan. – Take responsibility for managing projects, business analysis, system development and testing to ensure that the delivered applications meet clients’ needs.
- Work with stakeholders to translate complex requirements into effective project plan; provide solution system architecture, identify possible issues and resources needed, assemble project teams, and assign responsibilities.
- Lead full-stack software engineers to deliver high-quality, large-scale, distributed applications and services through the software project lifecycle.
- Serve as a professional expert, provides technical expertise to solve the critical project issues and keeps project teams competitive with emerging technologies.
- Present and publish research works in Digital Library or related fields.
- Submit proposals and acquire external funding.
40% Software development, including:
- Work on software projects focused around Samvera/Fedora software stack, play a lead role in design and/or architecture.
– Develop applications such as, but not limited to, digital library repositories, digital library knowledge extraction, cataloging digital collections through topic modeling, classification, machine learning, and other associated applications, tools, and specifications.
- Implement new library services and resources and to migrate legacy systems to new technologies. Enable authentication and authorization in library services using
- Creates and maintains written documentation for all library services created and modified and provides technical support.
- Technical contributions to integrative software deployment onto developing in-house, cloud-based, or hybrid data and web delivery systems, including understanding DevOps approach, enabling developers and system administrators to best coordinate their efforts to data integration, applications development, and packaging.
– Offer programming language advice to the developing team, including best practice, design pattern, performance tuning, issue tracking, etc. The programming language such as, but not limited to Java and Python.
- Participates in code reviews, analyzes new technologies for potential integration into our main code base, including technologies such as Git, GitHub, Jira, Confluence, and Travis CI, etc.
5% Participate in international, national and regional digital library collaborations, and seek mutually beneficial partnerships and external support through grants.
5% Participate in library planning and serve on library-wide committees, task forces, and teams and will be expected to be active professionally and to contribute to developments in the field.
- Master’s degree in Library Science or Library Information Science, or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Electrical Engineering with digital library concentration.
-Sun Java Platform, EE Certified.
-2 years experience of full life cycle software development in Java and Python.
-2 years experience leading development team and managing enterprise software development projects.
-Above experience must include: Experience designing and implementing largescale, distributed systems; Programming digital repository and integrating
web applications; Experience bringing in external funding.
–Must have criminal background check.
Must have a conviction check:
How to Apply for this Job:
Applications must be submitted online at www.jobs.vt.edu posting number #AP0180045. The application package must include a resume, cover letter addressing the candidate’s experience with the responsibilities associated with the position, and the required qualifications, and names of three (3) references and their contact information.
Administrative and Professional Faculty
If restricted or temporary, enter end date:
Exempt: Not eligible for overtime
Academic Year or Calendar Year:
If part time, enter Percent Time:
$70,100 – $79,700/yr
Location, if not Blacksburg:
Location Zip Code:
8am-5pm Monday-Friday (or as needed)
Job Posting Date:
Review Begin Date:
Job Close Date:
Restricted to university employees only?
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Statement:
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, or veteran status; or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees, or applicants; or any other basis protected by law.
For inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies, contact the executive director for Equity and Access at 540-231-2010 or Virginia Tech, North End Center, Suite 2300 (0318), 300 Turner St. NW, Blacksburg, VA 24061.
Reasonable Accommodation Statement:
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department.
Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University
Website : http://www.vt.edu
Virginia Tech takes a hands-on, engaging approach to education, preparing scholars to be leaders in their fields and communities. As the commonwealth’s most comprehensive university and its leading research institution, Virginia Tech offers 240 undergraduate and graduate degree programs to more than 31,000 students and manages a research portfolio of more than $513 million. The university fulfills its land-grant mission of transforming knowledge to practice through technological leadership and by fueling economic growth and job creation locally, regionally, and across Virginia. Through a combination of its three missions of learning, discovery, and engagement, Virginia Tech continually strives to accomplish the charge of its motto Ut Prosim (That I May Serve).