University of Texas Rio Grande Valley
Number of Vacancies
Scope of Job
To provide the highest level of paraprofessional and supervisory skills necessary to the operation of a unit of the University library or in a departmental library during night and weekend hours. Responsible for performing specialized duties requiring advanced operational skills and high library knowledge, with frequent application of limited professional knowledge of library principles and procedures.
Description of Duties
• Assists patrons with library electronic databases and search tools including online catalog.
• Assists patrons with library books and equipment check-in and check-out.
• Reports night and weekend security or maintenance issues to campus PD and or Maintenance.
• Assists patrons with fines and fees and transcript holds.
• Assists patrons with use of compact shelving, Knowledge Imaging Center scanners, microform readers and other equipment.
• Collects and reconciles library fines and fees.
• Maintains library shelves in proper order and assist patrons in locating materials
• Evaluates and resolves patron inquiries and complaints about library policies and procedures.
• Monitors and maintains computer lab printers supplied of paper and toner for library.
• Creates and updates library patron records, mail out overdue notices, and contact patrons about missing books.
• Assists patrons with campus account login issues.
• Assists patrons with campus information and directional assistance.
• Coordinates the work of student workers.
• Responsible for opening, closing, securing, and evacuating the library building.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
General direction from the assigned supervisor.
Direct supervision of all assigned staff.
High school diploma or equivalent.
Twelve (12) college credit hours in Computer Information Systems or computer related field with an Associate’s degree.
• Three (3) years of library experience in a support position, or a combination of,
• One (1) year of full time office work experience with an Associate’s Degree / 60 college credit hours.
Use of standard office equipment.
Needs to be able to successfully perform all required duties. Office Environment; some travel and weekend work is required. Must be able to stoop and reach in order to lift books to stock shelves, lift boxes of books and other library materials, and push carts and dollies loaded with library materials.
Ability to assist patrons with library electronic databases and search tools including online catalog. Must possess good writing, communication, and organizational skills. Ability to work with library Millennium system and Library of Congress classification system.
Commensurate with Experience
Commensurate with Experience
Position Available Date
Grant Funded Position
If Yes, Provide Grant Expiration Date
Posting Detail Information
is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer that strives to hire without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information or veteran status.
takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Human Resources will not be held responsible for redacting any confidential information from the documents you attach with your application. The confidential information includes the following:
*Date of Birth
Please make sure that you omit this information prior to submission. We are advising that Human Resources will be forwarding your application to the department as per your submission. The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley reserves the right to discontinue accepting applications prior to the stated close date of this position, after meeting the posting requirement of three (3) calendar days.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at (956) 665-2451 and/or firstname.lastname@example.org.
is a distributed location institution and working location is subject to change based on need.
employees are required to have a criminal background check (
). Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Substitutions to the above requirements must have prior approval from the Chief Human Resources Officer.
The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley was created by the Texas Legislature in 2013 in a historic move that brings together the resources and assets of UT Brownsville and UT Pan American and, for the first time, makes it possible for residents of the Rio Grande Valley to benefit from the Permanent University Fund—a public endowment contributing support to the University of Texas System and the Texas A&M University System.