University of Central Florida
Assistant Librarian, Associate Librarian or Librarian
Department Head (123)
Department Head, Cataloging Services
The University of Central Florida (
) Libraries seeks an experienced, technically knowledgeable, creative, flexible, service-oriented, and collaborative leader for its Cataloging Services Department.
encourages national cataloging projects, is a member of the Name Authority Cooperative (
), and added 37,000 titles including print, electronic/digital objects, and media in 2016-2017. Located in Orlando, Florida, the university provides a collegial and dynamic environment for professional involvement and growth.
This position reports to the associate director for Technology Services and Resource Management and, as a member of the libraries’ management team, contributes to long-range planning in support of the strategic objectives of the libraries.
The head of Cataloging Services:
• Sets priorities, allocates resources, and develops plans, policies and practices within the Cataloging Services Department to enhance the access and use of all library resources at all locations;
• Supervises and leads a staff of five librarians and an adjunct librarian, 8½ paraprofessionals, and student assistants;
• Hires, trains, and supervises staff and conducts performance reviews;
• Administers operations for original, complex, and copy cataloging as well as batch loading, authority control, metadata creation, and related data management in all tangible and intangible physical formats (including print, non-print, electronic resources, and digital projects) for all types of content (books, serials, databases, maps, sound recordings, scores, visual materials, etc.);
• Directs the workflow of the department to accomplish its tasks;
• Provides leadership for a knowledgeable staff in an environment of change;
• Develops and implements departmental policies and procedures;
• Creates and encourages a positive work environment.
Position Minimum Qualifications
• Master’s degree from an American Library Association-accredited institution;
• Minimum of three years of experience in cataloging work;
• Mastery of cataloging rules, standards and practices.
• Experience using a large bibliographic utility (preferably
) and a large integrated library system;
• Experience with cataloging complicated materials such as maps, music, or foreign language materials;
• Experience training staff in cataloging rules, standards, and workflows;
• Experience planning and implementing the cataloging components of a migration to a new system;
• Ability to analyze catalog data and solve problems in a complex shared catalog;
• Substantive knowledge of the application of metadata schemes to organize and provide access to digital collections;
• Substantive knowledge of the practical use of vendor supplied catalog records;
• Record of increasing management responsibilities;
• Ability to manage multiple responsibilities in a dynamic and changing environment;
• Supervision experience in an academic setting;
• Experience leading committees or teams;
• Commitment to enhancing services through teamwork and responsiveness to clients;
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
• Ability to collaborate and to work with colleagues across departments and in other academic libraries;
• A record of professional contribution.
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
As an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer,
encourages all qualified applicants to apply, including women, veterans, individuals with disabilities, and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.
's Equal Opportunity Statement can be viewed at: http://www.oie.ucf.edu/documents/PresidentsStatement.pdf
. As a Florida public university,
makes all application materials and selection procedures available to the public upon request.
Additional Application Materials Required
requires all applications and supporting documents to be submitted electronically through the Human Resources website, www.jobswithucf.com. In addition to the online application, interested candidates should submit a letter addressing the stated qualifications, a full curriculum vitae, and contact information for three current professional references.
Note: Please have all documents ready when applying so they can be attached at that time. Once the online submission process is finalized, the system does not allow applicants to submit additional documents at a later date.
Review of applications will begin immediately. Questions may be directed to the search chair, Selma Jaskowski, at email@example.com.
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open until filled
Information Technologies and Resources (ITR)
ITR - Library
Type of Appointment
The University of Central Florida, founded in 1963, is the second-largest university in the nation. Located in Orlando, Florida, UCF and its 13 colleges provide opportunities to 63,000 students, offering 210 degree programs from UCF’s main campus, hospitality campus, health sciences campus and its 10 regional locations. Best Colleges - U.S. News & World Report rankings ranked UCF as Most Innovative 2016UCF was ranked as one of the nation’s “Most Innovative” universities in the U.S. News & World Report’s Best Colleges 2016 guide rankings. Last year, Kiplinger’s and The Princeton Review ranked UCF as one of the nation’s best values for a college education. The Carnegie Foundation has classified UCF as an R1 Doctoral University with the highest research activity and community engagement. UCF, Florida’s largest university, promotes a diverse and inclusive environment. Students come from 50 states and 148 countries. Study abroad programs allow students to study and conduct research with 98 institutions in 36 countries. Students at UCF have been recognized throughout the world and include recipients of the Rhodes, Mellon and Goldwater scholarships. In 2014, UCF enrolled 79 freshman National Merit Scholars for an overall enrollment of 275 National Merit Scholars. Both school records. Last year, UCF enrolled more National Merit Scholars and awarded more degrees than any other Florida university. UCF is an academic, partnership and research leader in numerous fields, such as optics, modeling and simulation, engineering and computer science, business administration, education, the sciences including biomedical sciences, hospitality management and digital media.