University of North Texas
Position Number 00011374 Department University Library-Gen - 141000 Location Denton Is this an internal posting only? No Work Schedule Monday - Friday, TBD Department Overview A wide range of student- and faculty-centered services is the cornerstone of the Libraries' integral role in the University of North Texas community.
The Digital Libraries Division supports the UNT Libraries with guidance, web development, digital preservation, and other digital services. Through collaborative efforts such as The Portal to Texas History (http:\/\/texashistory.unt.edu\/) and the UNT Digital Library (http:\/\/digital.library.unt.edu\/) we freely provide digital content to a worldwide audience. Our Digital Lab team contributes to these products through digitization, creation of metadata, and archival storage. Job Description ** This is a full-time temporary five-year position.
The University of North Texas Libraries are seeking to hire a Library Production Associate to join our Digital Projects Unit. The Library Production Associate will coordinate digitization and description of a large collection of archival materials.
Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
* Completing inventories of physical materials, preparing them for scanning, and tracking them in the lab
* Scanning text and images on a variety of equipment
* Adjusting scans for contrast, sharpness, and\/or color fidelity
* Examining files for quality and consistency
* Creating original metadata records to describe archival materials
* Working in conjunction with the Libraries' External Relations Office to maintain a relationship with the funding agency and to provide regular statistics and updates
* Ensuring that project deadlines are met
* Assisting with hiring, training, and task supervision of student assistants
* Approving student time in the WebClock system
* Preparing and updating written training guides
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate. The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing. Minimum Qualifications The successful candidate will possess a Bachelor's Degree and one year of progressively responsible library experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
The following knowledge, skills, and abilities are required:
* Extensive knowledge of library principles and policies, and knowledge of specialized area functions and workflows.
* Experience in working effectively with students, faculty, staff, and the community.
* Ability to utilize multiple computer applications toward increased productivity in a rapidly changing environment.
* Strong leadership skills.
* Excellent written and oral communication skills.
* Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
* Knowledge of safe working procedures and security measures related to work performed. Preferred Qualifications The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
* Demonstrated interest in imaging
* Facility with visual details
* Understanding of basic Photoshop editing and batch processing techniques
* Ability to accomplish repetitive tasks and produce high-quality output
* Ability to pay close attention to detail
* Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
* Ability to effectively train student workers and provide oversight of specific tasks
* Experience handling archival materials
* Experience with flatbed, duplex, and\/or planetary scanning technologies and practices
* Supervisory experience
* Visual acuity to use a computer monitor and to assess visual details
* Manual dexterity to use a computer keyboard and mouse, and to manipulate fine controls
* Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time
* Ability to lift objects up to 35 pounds Special Instructions to Applicants Applicants must submit a cover letter, resume and list of three references with their online application. Is this a security sensitive position? Yes Driving a University Vehicle? No Job Open Date 01-25-2018 Job Close Date Pay Rate Salary commensurate with experience Pay Basis Monthly Job Type Full-time Temporary Quicklink for Posting jobs.unt.edu\/applicants\/Central?quickFind=64308
University of North Texas
Website : http://www.unt.edu
As one of Texas' largest universities, we offer 100 bachelor's, 83 master's and 37 doctoral degree programs. By providing access, welcoming diversity and strengthening our collaborations with our many educational, business and community partners, as well as building new partnerships across the globe, UNT's faculty and staff work each day to prepare students for the challenges they will meet in our changing world.