CGI Group Inc.
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
Meet our professionals
CGI: An employer of choice
The Law Library serves as the nation's custodian of legal and legislative collections from all countries and legal systems of the world housed in the Library of Congress. As custodian, the Law Library maintains, retrieves, preserves, and secures the print and microform collections. Maintenance includes the shelving of all incoming volumes and serial pieces; filing of incoming loose-leaf updates, advance sheets and pocket parts; superseding; and the weeding of surplus volumes. Retrieval includes the servicing of any material requested. Preservation includes the preparation for binding of newly collated volumes, and the preparation of material to be digitized, microfilmed, or boxed. Security of the collection involves making sure all Library of Congress regulations on this topic are followed in the handling of the legal collection.
The Library Technician 1 (LT1) will be tasked with the inventory of rare law books in a variety of languages meeting stringent requirements set forth by the government client. The LT1 will be expected to meet and exceed client expectations for quantity and quality of the work product, and must be able to work well with others and independently to prioritize and complete various daily and ongoing tasks.
Your future duties and responsibilities:
Daily activities may include:
* Complex inventory of rare monographs and serials using Voyager ILS Catalog module to create or update item and holding records
* Physical processing of rare collection material to include labeling, barcoding and possibly some minor preservation/stabilization work
* Searching bibliographic records and shelflist cards and identifying critical inaccuracies or incompleteness in bibliographic records
* Perform routine library collection maintenance tasks including shelving, shifting, arranging, and retrieving material
* Support tracking, inventory control, and overall security of the Law Library collections by pin & linking non-rare monographs and serials and creating item and summary holding records in the Library's integrated library system (ILS) as part of a long-term comprehensive inventory of the collection
* Assist with special projects in support of the client
Required qualifications to be successful in this role:
* Prior experience working in a library setting, preferably with large, international legal collections
* Prior experience working with rare books and special collections
* Knowledge and understanding of the Library of Congress classification schedule
* Working knowledge of inventory, retrieval and maintenance issues related to legal serials and monographs published in various languages
* Familiarity with Voyager Integrated Library System
* Ability to communicate in English (written and oral)
* Physical stamina, including the ability to push a fully-loaded book truck containing 300 lbs of material, the ability to lift at least 25 lbs, and the ability to stand for extended periods of time
* Work schedule of approximately 40 hours a week; some flexibility available for scheduling of these hours (daytime or evening/Saturday
Ability to perform work with attention to detail
* Ability to successfully complete background investigation covering criminal, education and employment history
* Fluency in any foreign language is highly desired
* MLIS or MLS degree
* Knowledge of the Library of Congress classification schedule pertaining to law (Class K)
What you can expect from us:
Build your career with us.
It is an extraordinary time to be in business. As digital transformation continues to accelerate, CGI is at the center of this change-supporting our clients' digital journeys and offering our professionals exciting career opportunities.
At CGI, our success comes from the talent and commitment of our professionals. As one team, we share the challenges and rewards that come from growing our company, which reinforces our culture of ownership. All of our professionals benefit from the value we collectively create.
Be part of building one of the largest independent technology and business services firms in the world.
Learn more about CGI at
No unsolicited agency referrals please.
CGI is an equal opportunity employer.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, ethnicity, ancestry, color, sex, religion, creed, age, national origin, citizenship status, disability, medical condition, military and veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or perceived sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, and gender expression, familial status, political affiliation, genetic information, or any other legally protected status or characteristics.
CGI provides reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. If you need an accommodation to apply for a job in the U.S., please email the CGI U.S. Employment Compliance mailbox at
. You will need to reference the requisition number of the position in which you are interested. Your message will be routed to the appropriate recruiter who will assist you. Please note, this email address is only to be used for those individuals who need an accommodation to apply for a job. Emails for any other reason or those that do not include a requisition number will not be returned
We make it easy to translate military experience and skills! Click
to be directed to our site that is dedicated to veterans and transitioning service members.
All CGI offers of employment in the U.S. are contingent upon the ability to successfully complete a background investigation. Background investigation components can vary dependent upon specific assignment and/or level of US government security clearance held.
CGI will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with CGI's legal duty to furnish information.
Library ofCongress ClassSystem
Have you been referred by a CGI Member for this position?*
CGI member's email (@cgi.com)
I agree to allow CGI to contact the CGI member who referred me to obtain additional information about my application and to confirm my referral. *
* This field is required.
At CGI, we're committed to helping all of our stakeholders succeed. Our 68,000 professionals in 40 countries across the Americas, Europe and Asia Pacific provide end-to-end IT and business process services that facilitate the ongoing evolution of our clients' businesses. CGI is committed to helping our clients achieve their business goals; to providing our professionals with rewarding careers; and to offering shareholders superior returns over time. At CGI, we are in the business of delivering results.