The First Church Of Christ Scientist
Associate Librarian for The Mother Church Reading Room (10-19 hours)
Non Benefits Eligible
TMC Reading Room
THE MOTHER CHURCH AND ITS ACTIVITIES
Job Title: The Mother Church Reading Room Associate Librarian (10-19 hours)
Department: The Mother Church Reading Rooms
Responsible for understanding and being familiar with all of the products put out by the Christian Science Publishing Society. They are responsible for promoting and selling these products while supporting and maintaining an environment of healing and spiritual discovery. This position works as a team member that, through prayer and an understanding of Christian Science, connects with the community and prays regularly recognizing its strengths, and its needs, and challenges. The Associate Librarian takes on a variety of projects depending on individual strengths (i.e. running resource groups, training fellow employees, reports, editing, etc.).
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Librarian, Customer Service, and Sales / 75%
- Knows the products, books, CDs, cards, magazines, etc. that are sold or distributed by the CS Publishing Society. Is familiar and recommends them to meet the needs of the customers. Is alert to the needs of customers. Acts as a librarian for CSPS products.
- Responsible for sales and customer service/satisfaction in The Mother Church Reading Rooms and at conferences and events.
- Sets a healing tone and goals for the room, it’s activities and atmosphere.
- Supports and contributes to the healing atmosphere in Reading Room.
- Has a good knowledge of Christian Science, Mary Baker Eddy, The Mother Church’s Departments and Activities, The Mother Church edifice, the MBE Library, and the surrounding community.
2. Stays current / 10%
- Keeps up to date on all new periodical, books, CDs, program, and other content and products of CS Publishing Society. Is well read on all existing products and services.
- Learns new technologies/procedures/products and ways of serving.
- Attends and participates in staff meetings.
- Reads and responds daily to emails and voicemails.
- Keeps abreast of current trends in spirituality, spiritual healing, and church.
3. Helps where needed with Reading Room displays, reports, and projects / 10%
- Helps with flyers and display materials for in house and outside events.
- Collects and reports on feedback from displays, events, and workshops.
- Makes recommendations for improvements in the overall Reading Room.
4. Participates in Reading Room Events and Community Activity /5%
- Coordinates and runs in-store events
- Assists where needed for community events
STAFF MANAGEMENT AND JOB CONTACTS
Supervisor: TMC Librarian/Manager with close working relationship with entire team
Supervises: May supervisor one or more fellow staff members in training.
Employees, vendors, professionals, customers
College degree or equivalent and previous experience in a retail environment. Experience in the Christian Science field (i.e., branch church work, field work, etc.)
Solid knowledge of Reading Room/CS Publishing Society products. Demonstrated skill in Christian Science. Demonstrated skills in driving projects and working on a team. Strong sales, communication, and customer service skills. Familiarity with public thought and trends and other faith backgrounds, or willing to learn;
Strong skills in the Google suite of products, technology, CSPS electronic products, and the use of the internet.
Engagement with Christian Science
The Mother Church membership required and Primary class instruction preferred.
The First Church Of Christ Scientist
Website : http://www.tfccs.org